Part 4

And the animating begins. Before animation, however…

To make the sets, I bought some turf in various different grass, earth and soil colors. I’m animating the graveyard scene first, so I’ve worked on that set first. My old graveyard (picture 1) didn’t work out to my favor, so I had to redo it. I had to kick my sister out of her room (sorry Nance!), since her room has no windows in it… perfect for stop motion animation!

First and foremost, I had to go to Home Depot to get some wood for my set. I buy the 8’x4′ piece, not realizing that it probably wouldn’t fit in my dinky Jetta. Long story short, I had to go back and have it resliced to fit in my car. I get it home and have to start turfing and flocking. I grab my friend and he starts helping me document the whole thing (thanks Eric)! I use some turf in colors green grass, soil, earth, and some other colors I can’t think of right now. It’s good to buy several sheets of the turf and use spray glue to keep everything on. Spray glue was my friend… and I think I had flocking and glue in my nose and lungs by the end of these days, but oh well!  

**Good tip: Next time, I’ll spray paint the wood a dark color as to have it covered before I use the turf. I’ve probably spent a few hundred dollars on turf alone.

I love you, spray glue.

So now I have to get into the business of sawing a few beams for my background sky. I’ve decided to use a cotton blue sheet and stapling it to some beams, then painting it over to get a beautiful sky.

Do not saw anything without protective gear or while wearing flats. Not recommended nor advised.

Do not drill indoors, either. Not wise.

Stapling the cotton on the boards.

Steaming the fabric to get all the wrinkles out.

Dance when you paint. I swear it’s soothing and calming!



Part 3

So I’ve found that if you use black and white newspaper and twist them, you can fashion them into some pretty awesome trees. We’re in tree phase right now. I have more to write, but I have much more to do, so I’m going to leave this one a short one.


Part 2

I really need to post more often than once a month. Anyway, I’ve finished the doll, I’ve built part of my graveyard set. Luckily, I’ve had some help in that department all thanks to Eric (a previous animation student). As you can see, I decided to leave out the hoodie and made an overcoat instead.

The doll is made of armature wire, felt, foam, super sculpey, doll eyes, eyelashes, fabric, magic sculpt and a lot of love.

I sculpted the head out of pure super sculpey and black sculpey III. Her lips and cheeks were rouged with pink blush makeup. I’m sure I could have used paint or something along the lines, but I really don’t know anything about painting and when I tried doing anything with painting her face, it came out frightening. I’ll leave it to the pros.

Her eyes came from Kemper Dolls and they’re the all natural round plastic eyes, in which they have various different colors and sizes. Make sure you know the size you’d like for your puppet. The unfortunate part about getting doll eyes from here is that they have this little nub in the back, which you have to take a dremel to cut it short, then sand it off smooth. The eyes aren’t perfectly round, mind you, so you must make sure that the eye sockets are big enough to move the eye if you have eye movement.

Her frame is made of aluminum wire with Magic Sculpt around the torso and hips, arms and legs, dried to harden. I sculpted her fingers and magic sculpted them to her arms and started to sew the underwear (made of cotton) and tutu (of tulle) on her permanently. Her gingham skirt was also sewn on top of the tutu and undies, which is also just your average cotton fabric. I started to sew her felted jacket on top of her, but her body looked really hunched and dented, so I added some green foam padding under the jacket to her body to give her some depth.

I made her a scarf out of felt with a little whale on it. Inside is a piece of mesh wiring so I can pose it to make it look like it’s blowing in the wind, if needed. Though I managed to lose her pigtails somewhere, so I’ll have to remake those.